Primary Care Networks (PCNs) are a key part of the Long Term Plan and vital to the future of our NHS. As demand increases on healthcare services, primary care networks bring core primary care services together to enable greater provision of proactive, personalised, coordinated and more integrated health and social care.
Our Primary Care Network Service Offer provides development support to improve leadership and create thriving networks that improve patient outcomes.
The key challenges facing PCNs
Just like STPs, PCNs face their own unique challenges that need to be tackled to create thriving networks. The role of PCN Clinical Directors must be supported and developed to oversee a network’s formation and running. The network’s journey also needs to be defined and understood, with clear direction and support tools to achieve targets over the next five years.
How can NECS support PCNs?
When it comes to support for PCNs, we have identified six major focus points.
• Development of Clinical Directors through leadership training and on-going development support
• Support the development of PCNs during start-up, from early formative discussions to advice and training for specific aspects of advancement
• Engaging with people and communities to understand local population needs and to help establish an understanding of the role and potential of the PCN
• The organisational development (OD) of multidisciplinary teams and making collaborative working second nature
• Service improvement, combined with service redesign and transformation expertise
• Looking ahead to 2020 & 2021 by providing advice and support to prepare for the successful delivery of national service specifications
NECS proposes a consistent and simple approach of four development blocks flexed to meet both the challenges that are common to all PCNs as well as those that are specific and unique. Parallel programmes will support the development of the PCN and its leaders, whilst providing intensive support to enable quick wins helping the PCN to swiftly gain confidence and establish itself in the local system.
Our bespoke packages are all tailored to the individual needs of our customer.
NECS is already involved in the active support of PCNs both through direct, local engagement as well as nationally sponsored programmes. These build on our established success in working with primary care.
You can find out more about our Primary Care Network service offer here:
NECS PCN Offer