We have had outstanding results in the North East and Cumbria region during 2017/18, including:
- A regional Value Based Commissioning policy which is applied consistently by all CCGs with all providers reducing patient inequity.
- Patients undergoing elective procedures only in circumstances where the benefit outweighs the clinical risk.
- A single prior approval scheme for secondary care providers in line with the NHS Standard Contract technical guidance, therefore reducing the burden on providers.
- A reduction of 7,800 elective procedures in 2017/18 against 2016/17.
- A saving to the local economy of £12.2m across the region in 2017/18.
- A reduction in the number of patients referred to secondary care for an outpatient appointment for conditions covered by the policy.
- Contribution to provider cost improvement programmes through the reduction in targeted activity.
- A reduction in the number of Individual Funding Requests (IFRs) considered by CCGs by 50% reducing costs associated with clinical decision making.