Our Population Health Management (PHM) approach focuses on supporting systems, organisations, teams and clinicians in making effective clinical, operational and strategic decisions to improve the health and wellbeing of their population. We have vast experience of supporting the development, delivery and evaluation of preventative, curative and palliative care models with excellent outcomes for individuals, clinicians, staff, communities and populations.
A Population Health Management approach is fundamental in making sure there is a good understanding of the complex health challenges, the scale and extent of health inequalities and the interventions necessary to address challenges. Our approach supports the development of this understanding and insight at every level, from system to individual, and that appropriate interventions are put in place which lead to best outcomes for patients.
Our customers are Integrated Care Boards (ICBs), NHS acute and mental health providers, Primary Care Networks, local authorities, Multi-Agency Partnerships, GP practices, community pharmacies, clinical networks, the VCSE sector, academic partners and partner organisations as a joint effort to improve the health of local populations and tackle health inequalities.
Our approach uses data, intelligence and insight to inform resource allocations, design and evaluate proactive models of wellness and care and to contribute to the understanding of population health needs at a neighbourhood, place and integrated care system (ICS) level.
We offer our customers bespoke, creative, end-to-end solutions which overcome the most difficult challenges facing healthcare services, with a view to reducing inequalities and improving value. Our decisions are always based on the best available research so that we can make the biggest impact possible on people’s health, care and wellbeing.
Our experienced team of experts play a part in the overall mission of NECS by focusing on wellbeing services around prevention, early identification and detection, effective diagnostics, optimisation of long-term conditions, appropriate utilisation of urgent and emergency care, as well as access to rehabilitation and palliative care.
We are multi-disciplinary and include people from diverse backgrounds such as public health, clinicians, data analysts, finance professionals, project managers and programme managers.
Our team covers three broad areas:
- Commissioning Delivery support: supporting commissioners in their role of making decisions around the provision of healthcare. We help with positive change that ensures you deliver the best quality services for patients
- Research evaluation and evidence: ensuring our team always uses the best available research in terms of how we deliver services, the decisions we make and supporting other systems whenever re-evaluating a service to see how it is performing and if it is fit for purpose
- Consultancy: supporting a wide range of organisations across the country in relation to service decision making, new models of delivery and how best to support patients – transforming the whole models of delivering of healthcare.
Our team will work with you as a delivery partner or a coaching partner to implement the best PHM approach for your needs.
NECS has an excellent track record in delivering large scale transformational change and has led on a number of PHM programmes. We have a unique combination of skills, services and tools that make us a trusted and effective PHM partner:
- Access to a comprehensive data platform, capable of integrating health and care events across the entire health care system
- Access to sophisticated business intelligence tools, such as RAIDR which facilitate a ‘system’ and ‘place-based’ view of delivery to support patient activation
- Provision of a flexible, bespoke PHM service, design and delivery of an end-to-end service or modular solutions, coaching and mentoring to support your own teams to deliver locally
- Adapting insight and understanding into evidence-based interventions and change programmes, which we will manage, deliver and evaluate for effectiveness. We can also support you to do this
- Access to a multi-disciplinary team of PHM subject matter experts who we can mobilise quickly, including:
- Data management and Information Governance
- Analytics and intelligence
- Transformation programme and project management
- Public health consultants with specialist PHM experience
- Organisational development – leadership and coaching
- Research and evidence
- Provider management / workforce
- Medical / GP
Contact the team
The challenge In March 2020 at the early stages of the COVID-19 global pandemic, Durham County Council partnered with NECS to adopt a Population Health Management (PHM) approach to support the COVID-19 response. The challenge was to use PHM to: Identify patient...