Our highly experienced team ensure medicines optimisation through an integrated approach to medicine use across the whole patient pathway, improving patients’ experience and cost effectiveness.
• An expert team that provides you with specialist pharmaceutical advice and insightful analysis across a range of services including supporting local decision-making, individual funding requests, service reform, systems management, oversight and governance
• Access to an identified senior medicines optimisation adviser to actively manage a comprehensive action plan including delivery of QIPP initiatives
• Practice teams who provide a comprehensive prescribing support service which is highly regarded by the GP practices they support
• Tools, resources and staff to support you and your practice members to improve prescribing quality and optimise medicines use.
Medicines are the most frequently used healthcare intervention in the NHS and will account for a substantial part of your budget. Our expertise helps make sure you are getting the best value for money and effectiveness, ultimately improving patient outcomes.
How we’ve helped
We’ve developed an innovative ‘My Medicines My Health’ project, working closely with our customers. This utilises social marketing techniques to deliver a package of targeted initiatives aimed at changing patient attitudes and behaviours towards medication. The aim is to engage proactively through multiple channels to improve medicines adherence and reduce waste.
My Medicines My Health activities so far delivered include large scale communications campaigns, e-learning packages for prescribers and resources to support review of patient medication.
• Manage risk in patients with complex care needs as part of a multi-disciplinary team, Case management and personal care plan development
• Liaise with other providers to resolve medicines related issues
• Monitor and analyse prescribing patterns, prepare regular reports for the practices. Analysis of the use of specially manufactured medicines and follow up recommendations led to an annual saving of £73,272 for the Tees CCGs
• Develop and deliver training on prescribing issues to GP practice staff, e-learning packages available for repeat dispensing, antibiotics and inhaler techniques
• Delivery of a suite of interventions to reduce medicines waste.
“The input from the practice based pharmacists and technicians is highly valued and a significant assistance in delivering cost effective, current and safe prescribing for our patients. We have developed over time very close working relationship with NECS pharmacy staff. This knowledge of practice systems makes them much more effective in their work. They are highly valued members of the team.”
Christine Malloy Practice Manager Norton Medical Centre